Enrol With UsNow offering Prep to Year Twelve
Defence School Mentor at Southern Cross Catholic College (DSM)
Townsville is home to Australia’s largest military base. With a large number of military personnel in the city, many of whom form part of the Ready Deployment Force, a significant number of Australian Defence Force (ADF) families are regularly posted in and out of Townsville.
At Southern Cross Catholic College (SCCC), we are fortunate enough to employ one Defence School Mentor (DSM) at the school during term time. The DSM provides invaluable support, information and referrals to all ADF students and families within the SCCC community.
Some of this support may include:
- Coordinating welcoming and farewell strategies for students of ADF families,
- Identifying individual issues and needs of these students whilst they are part of the school community,
- Developing and implementing programs and resources that address ADF student needs,
- Monitoring students day to day social and emotional wellbeing, providing appropriate referrals as required,
- Facilitating student participation in cultural, sporting, academic and personal development programs,
- Linking students to college and community programs,
- Being a contact for parents of ADF students in the college with regards to community, college and ADF resources,
- Enhancing the relationship between the college and the Defence community.
Please let our staff know if you are a member of the ADF to ensure you are offered support from our DSM for your children. Should you have any questions about the program, please contact the college office on 4778 3444 or email our Defence School Mentor, Kira Walshaw at email@example.com